Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Model Remodel

I am getting ahead of myself because our kitchen remodel won't happen until next year, but it's never to early to start planning. (And I need to distract myself from the painting that is STILL continuing--I, alone, have put in 23 hours of painting in the last 5 days and we're not even half way done.)

After looking through tons of magazines I've come up with a general idea of what I want, and what will realistically fit into our budget (which hasn't been nailed down yet). Here's what I have come up with:

- New appliances (stainless steel or white)
- Remove tile on the floor and refinish the original hard wood floors
- Paint the existing cabinets white (possibly get new doors)
- New counter tops. I like contrast, so with white cabinets I want a darker counter top. I'm not picky about the counter top material, but we don't want to spend a TON of benjis on it.
- Replace existing hardware on the cabinets with (oil rubbed bronze) drawer pulls (old-fashioned style to match the pantry) and round knobs
- Remove the partial wall above the island and make the island all one height while keeping seating for three on one side
- Keeping with our 'warm' color theme downstairs, I imagined the kitchen and living room to be a very warm white or light yellowish color with the ultra white trim
- White subway tile back splash

Having not seen this all combined in one place before, I was pretty confidant all these elements would look great. Then, a moment of glorious gloriousness occurred as I was looking through the Spring 2009 Better Homes & Garden's Before & After magazine. I turned to page 66 and there, staring me right in the face, was MY kitchen. Everything I had envisioned all put together!! I'm still in shock that someone else already thought of my brilliant ideas. I guess there is room in the world for two fantastic kitchens. If it ain't broke...don't fix it. This will be the model for our kitchen remodel.


No comments:

Post a Comment